View previous topicView next topic
Deemark2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
As all our members know... up until now, advertising on this forum has not been allowed.

All the forum rules were put in place by our previous main forum Administrator, but as the forum has been evolving over the last couple of years, we have been adapting accordingly and many of them have now changed. 

For example...

• we no longer lapse memberships
  • forum registration is easier and no longer requires an Admin to authorise new members
  • forum 'guests' can now post in a special area of the forum
  • new members are manually added to our 'new members usergroup' as soon as they post their first post
  • all members over 51 posts are added to our SWClub usergroup (which means they can access the whole forum - except those areas where they still need to apply for membership)
  • plus lots more forum tweaks etc, but I won't bore you with all the details lol!

So, with this in mind, we've been thinking about relaxing the forum rule on advertising and allowing our members to advertise their services, products etc on this forum.

In which case we're asking you, our forum members, how you would like to see this happen? 

For example, should we set up a special area of the forum just for advertising? And, should we have sub sections in that forum for services, products, etc?

How should we 'police' it? (to prevent spam)

Any other suggestions?

idea  If you have any views on this forum change and any suggestions on how we can make this a useful resource for our members, please post your ideas and comment in this thread (below).
Share this post on:diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Comments

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:36 pmmummymoo
Definitely a separate area but wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to have sub sections
on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:26 amHedgey
I agree about a separate section but could advertising in that section be after a member has been active on here for a month, etc - bit like applying for access to kitchen section etc.

I was just thinking then that it would discourage anyone from just joining to advertise, etc.

Could the title be simple and just state the product or whatever that is on offer - no over enthusiastic adjectives, etc? It would be so simple then to see what is advertised from the titles.
on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:21 pmRuby Tuesday
I think advertising is a good idea, as long as it is for something which is made or owned by the member.
on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:53 pmTinkerbelle
I think that Hedgeys suggestion of having to be a member for a month with 50+ posts etc. is a great idea, it will stop people joining for the wrong reasons.
on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:43 pmChristine
I think a separate section for advertising would be good.

I agree that people should have to have 50+ posts, but also should probably be 'active members' in whatever guise that takes, e.g. not just coming on to post ads without contributing generally. 

It's not that I want more rules, just that it keeps it fair as a perk for regulars that are here for SW reasons and advertising something on the side rather than the other way around. 

I'm not sure if we might then need specific rules about links, numbers of posts, etc but then I'm not sure what kind of things we are talking about advertising so I guess it will depend!
on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pmJulie
I've no problem with members advertising, I agree with Christine that they must contribute to the forum in other ways too though - and yes a separate section but probably no need for subsections. 

As for preventing spam, I would say a member can advertise a service or goods that they, a member of their family or a friend provides, but nothing like herbalife, kleeneze, avon etc!
on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:27 pmRuby Tuesday
@Julie wrote:As for preventing spam, I would say a member can advertise a service or goods that they, a member of their family or a friend provides, but nothing like herbalife, kleeneze, avon etc!
 That's exactly what I think!
on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 pmDeemark2
bump
on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:28 pmRuby Tuesday
I am outing myself as a bit daft, but I've come upon "BUMP" so many times now and still can't figure out, what it really means. Can someone enlighten me, please? 
on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:31 pmRuby Tuesday
And as for advertising, I have already posted on that subject.

I think, too, it should have a sections. 

I will think about a suggestion and put it in later.
on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:57 pmChristine
@Ruby Tuesday wrote:I am outing myself as a bit daft, but I've come upon "BUMP" so many times now and still can't figure out, what it really means. Can someone enlighten me, please? 
It's basically a way of putting a new reply in a thread so that it goes back up to the 'newest posts' list and people see it. Otherwise, old threads can disappear off, never to be seen again!
on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:46 pmRuby Tuesday
Oh, that's it? Clever.

Thanks for explaining.  hearts
Sponsored content
View previous topicView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum